Our mission is to enhance the school experience for families by promoting active volunteer participation in the Parents Association and by sponsoring activities that will make our children’s experience at the Divine Word an enriching and rewarding one. We also help to facilitate communication among parents, the school and Board of Management.
At the Divine Word National School we have a very active and successful Parents Association and we are very proud to play an important part in the great team spirit and positive environment that exists here in Divine Word.
As parents of children in the school you are automatically members of the parents association and will be kept informed of events throughout the year through mediums such as the school newsletter and “Text a Parent” – if you are not signed up to this service please text 087 2067374 and we can add your number to the list.
Fundraising Activities 2014/15
- Sponsored Walk – this is one of the biggest fundraising events of the year and your support is greatly appreciated. We are currently counting the returned sponsorship money and would be grateful for any sponsorship money which has yet to be received.
- Coin Collection – the coin collection runs throughout the school year. We will happily take any unwanted copper coins and put them to good use.
- Christmas Fair & Cafe – this will take place on Sunday 23rd November and is a great event for the children, parents and friends.
The PA offer a variety of ways in which all parents can get involved:
We fundraise to provide academic enrichment programs, capital improvements and supplies for students and the school.
Plan and sponsor many celebrations throughout the year
Provide refreshments for Communion / Confirmation / Sports days / 6th class graduation / Junior Infant enrolment night.
MASC (Music Arts Sports and Culture)
The PA organise events throughout the year to create awareness and interest in culture and arts. Recent events include visits from Skydome, a drum workshop and scarecrow day. It is a great way for the children to participate in something a little outside the usual curriculum while adding to their whole school experience.
Co-ordinating Enrolment for afterschool classes in September and January (run by the PA)
We co-ordinate the after school classes from enrolment to supervision. We have a team of Subject Managers and a bank of parents to supervise in the foyer of the school while these classes are running. We ask that the parents of the children attending the classes supervise for an hour or two per term if possible.
We hold one PA meeting each term (Winter and Spring terms) with our AGM being held in May annually – details are advised by web-text closer to the actual dates. We invite you to become an active member of the PA and participate in any way you can. It is a great way for you to play an active role in your child’s education and personal growth at the Divine Word. It can be as simple as baking a cake for a cake sale, cutting up fruit on sports day to manning a stall at the Christmas Café or becoming a member of the PA Committee – the choice is yours! For any queries or if you would like to join please contact the PA on 087 2067374
Projects funded by your Parents Association
- Portable Stage for the school hall
- Microphones for the school hall
- Sports Equipment
- Producing yearbooks as keepsakes for the 6th Class
- Partial funding of new computers and photocopier
- Contributing to the new building work carried out in the school
- OWLS Programme in the school
- Additional funds to the Special Needs Department
Remember – help out by supporting all your school’s fundraising activities and by volunteering to assist at just one event a year!
New School Tracksuit
As per letter, here is a photo of our new school tracksuit in the new fabric.