School Policies » School Improvement Plan
School Improvement Plan for circulation to school community September 2013
School years 2013/14; 2014/15; 2015/16
1.1 The focus of the evaluation
As part of our ongoing work in the school, and in line with DES requirements and the Literacy and Numeracy Strategy, ‘Literacy and Numeracy for Learning and Life’, a School self-evaluation of teaching and learning in The Divine Word NS was undertaken during the period April 2012-June 2013. During the evaluation, teaching and learning in the following curriculum area were evaluated:Assessment, Mathematics and Literacy. For more information on how the evaluation took place, please see our School Self-Evaluation Report which is available on www.divinewordns.ie
This school improvement plan sets out the actions that we will undertake in the school over the next three years in Literacy, Assessment and Numeracy. The school community is justifiably proud of our significant strengths in these areas. The main purpose of these actions is to further enhance our pupils’ learning in the areas of Literacy and Numeracy and to further develop forms of Assessment,in particular Assessment FOR Learning.
2 Summary of school self-evaluation findings
2.1 Our school has strengths in the following areas:
- High levels of attainment in standardised tests
- Positive attitude to learning in the areas of Literacy and Maths
- Significant majority of children like Reading and Maths and perceive themselves to be good at these
- Children are exposed to a supportive learning environment both at home and in school.
- High level of Assessment tools in use in all levels of the school..especially in the area of Assessment OF Learning.
- Early Intervention has aided SEN children.
- High levels of ICT between all subject areas.
We know this because we consulted with teachers, parents, pupils and examined the available material.
2.2 Our school has decided to prioritise the following areas of development
- Enhancing further the positive attitude to Maths – in particular in the area of problem solving
- Enhancing further the positive attitude to Literacy-in particular in the areas of Phonics, Comprehension and Handwriting.
- Assessment Of and FOR learning
- The teaching and learning environment and methodologies
These priorities reflect the patterns that emerged in our multi-faceted data collection and observation, as referenced above and they are deemed to be appropriate bearing in mind the resources – human, physical, financial and otherwise – to which we have access and the circumstances within which we operate.
2.3 Our school has set the following targets for improvement which are related to pupils’ achievement and has identified the following actions which will help in achieving those targets over the next three years.
|TARGET FOR IMPROVEMENT||ACTION|
||Extending provision of team teaching / in – class support
Broadening repertoire of methodologies
Enhanced differentiation – building on current good practice
Heightened focus on creating Numeracy – environment across Snr Inf and 1st classes, including ICT options.
||As above, plus….
Ringfenced time for same .. Numberworld for Snr Inf and 1st classes
||All of the above.
Piloting of AFL Folders and a review of assessment procedures in the school