Divine Word School, Marley Grange
Enrolment Applications – September 2020
Dear Parents / Guardians October 2019
You are now invited to apply for places in the school during the months of November 2019 to January 10th 2020 for New Pupils in September 2020. This applies to pupils starting in Junior Infants. Early application is advisable as places are limited.
Children new to our catchment area who may wish to attend other classes in the school
A small number of vacancies exist in a few classes only.
Applications for these classes will be accepted up to September 2020. (Vacancies permitting!)
- Application Forms: Should be filled in, at the school, during the hours:-
9.00am – 12.00pm any school day.
OR online download from our website www.divinewordns.ie
NEW FAMILIES APPLYING: If living in Catchment Area, Proof of Address required i.e.: TWO ORIGINAL utility bills in parent’s name (first and surname) dated within the previous 3 months.
(Mobile Phone Bills not acceptable)
Spot checks/visits may be made by the school to verify proof of residence in the Catchment Area.
- Birth Certificate: Each application must be accompanied by a
- Stamped, Self Addressed Please bring along a stamped self-addressed envelope
Envelope: (4” x 8” please) to facilitate confirmation of successful
Some of your neighbours may wish to enrol their children in the school but may not receive this notice. Please do them and us a good turn by bringing the contents of this notice to their attention.
There is no need for existing pupils to re-enrol.
In view of the anticipated demands, we shall not be able to assure you of acceptance until all the applications have been received. Priority is given to children in the catchment area of Marley Grange and brothers and sisters of those already attending the school.
Closing date and time for applications is 2.00pm on 10th JANUARY 2020. Applications forms received after this time and date will be considered as late applications. Please see our Enrolment Policy on the school website www.divinewordns.ie (Click on Board of
The following are the Categories for enrolment in the school:-
Category 1: Siblings of current children in Divine Word NS and children of current staff.
Category 2: Children in the catchment area.
Category 3: Children of Past Pupils not in catchment area.
Category 4: Children from outside the catchment area.
All Categories will be in Date of Birth order.
First offers will be sent out in February. Should your initial application not be successful, we will keep it on our files and every effort will be made to find a place for your child in our school.
With all good wishes.
Board of Management Report to Parents and Parents Association on Thursday June 6th 2019.
The following is a summary of points presented by the Principal and Chairperson of the Board of Management to parents and the Parents Association at their AGM on Thursday June 6th 2019:
- The Designated Liason Person for Child Protection issues continues to be the Principal, Mr Williams and the Deputy Designated liaison person continues to be M/s Ni Threasaigh. Revised Child Safety Statement already presented to PA . Risk assessment and safety statement already available on website.Stay Safe Lessons taught to children each year.
- Whole school staff have also taken part in One Training Day on the Primary Languages Curriculum .
- We welcomed Accord to 5th and 6th classes in November.
- Many thanks to our librarians..Simon and the gang!!
- Many thanks to PA and to our SNAs M/s Mc Carthy and M/s Hayes on producing the sensory trails in the school.
- SNA Allocation reduced this year..6 full day SNA’s and 3 Infant day SNA’s
- We continue to pilot an Accelerated Reading Scheme in 5th and 6th.thanks once again to our librarians for their help in this.
- We will be piloting a Graded Reading Scheme in 1st classes in school year 2019/20.
- BOM met on 7 occasions….NEW BOM to be appointed in November for 4 years.
- Wonderful night in the NCH last November with our 4th class choir along with the Rathfarnham Concert Band…hope to take part again next November.
- New SEN Model will introduced to schools in 2019…based on 5 criteria. Baseline hours, Complex Needs, Standardised Test Results (English), Standardised Test Results (Maths), Social Context and Gender.Our hours were cut so for next school year one of our SP Ed Teachers will be shared with 2 other schools.
- We continued to avail of an Art Therapist in the school.
- Capitation Grant of €84,490 given to school for school year 2018/19 . Comes in 2 phases..January we get 70% which was €59143.00 and in June we get 30% which is €25347.00.
- Minor Works grant of €14,694.50 ( €90.5 more than last year) also received. This has been re-introduced as a “once off” until further notice.
- We also received an ICT Grant of €21825.33
- Our new School Psychologist is M/Rozz Mc Mahon.
- The school is also part of a Special Needs Inclusion Project for the next school year 2019/20
- Grandparents Day on Jan 30th last…a great day
- Our SNAs received training on child handling
- Thank you all for Vol Subs…approx. Approx 40% of families contributed.
- A waiting list on enrolments. We still have an enrolment Committee set up by the BOM. 3 Junior Inf Classes for school year 2019/20.
- The school continues to facilitate the HSE with Immunisations for Infants and Sight and Hearing tests.
- We continue to have coaching from St Johns, Ballinteer.
- A number of policies developed include:
- Child Safety Statement( Formally Child Protection Policy) and Risk Assessment.
- Revision of Anti Bullying Policy
- Healthy Lunch Policy reviewed.
- Sp Ed Policy reviewed
- We are currently involved in a Mindfulness Project with DCU. Children, Parents and whole school staff involved in Workshops.
- Anti Bullying Workshop for parents organised in conjunction with DCU on May 30th..Children also participated in workshop.
- Wonderful workshop given by John Lonergan.
- Our school is now re-engaging with the School Self Evaluation Process. Our focus for the school year 2019/20 is Oral Irish.
- Standardised test results continue to be very high and report on 2nd, 4th and 6th classes to be sent to DES.
- Average attendance over the year has been 97%…..point 3% more than last year. 91 children will be receiving awards for Zero Absences…4 more than last year.
- Marleys Got Talent ,Maths Day and Seachtain na Gaeilge a great success this year.
- Numerous Sporting achievements in Hockey ( A win for the girls team in Leinster ), GAA ( camogie and Hurling teams in Croke Park), Soccer ( Boys team reached final).. Representative in in Spelling Bee Dublin Final.U11 team qualified for Credit Union National Table Quiz Final in RDS.Children also took part in South Dublin Libraries quiz.
- Student Council members have contributed greatly to the school and have been a great support to the PA
- School Walk…a great success and an event where the whole school community come together!!
- Confirmations and Communions a great success…thanks to all involved.
- Tremendous effort put into Xmas Fair..thanks to all involved and for all the fundraising .
- Fantastic Golf Classic in the Grange Golf Club. A tremendous fundraising effort and a great night.Thanks to all involved especially the golfers.Thanks to all involved in the Christmas Carol Concert in the church …another successful fundraiser.
- Traffic and parking issues have improved.
- Reminder re: parents making appointments with teachers.
- Sports Days..Junior on June 11th and Senior on June 12th( weather permitting!!)
Electricians and Electrical Engineers of the future…
First class have fun making their first circuits.